Evolution of Style, Mademoiselle Robot write your guide to letting your style grow with you
Fashion blogger Mademoiselle Robot writes...
The other day, I was browsing through old photos and realized that my style remained the same for the past ten years but it aged with me. It just adapted to my life... I tried to put together a few tips to let your style age with you, to make sure you always look your best, whatever your age.
- Experiment with your style till you find something that suits you and stick to it. If you are desperate to be "on trend", update your wardrobe with accessories, don't change your style base. What works for me is super girly dresses mixed in with some boyish pieces (jackets, tee shirts etc), a lot of childlike accessories and only certain colours. My concession to trends is generally through shoes, hats or experimenting with different colours and textures.
- Always dress according to your personality - which doesn't mean you have to wear beige if you are shy or brights if you are a crazy party girl. I am quite shy but most of the time I wear ridiculous outfits that attract attention.
- Make sure your style fits your lifestyle. Being a mother made me reassess my accessorizing habits for example. I used to wear A LOT of brooches/necklaces. Well now I have to refrain wearing them when I am with my daughter as she likes to tug on them constantly. This led me to a more minimalist version of my old style.
- Don't listen to people when they tell you they think you should try something else. Style is about instinct. If you see yourself in something and instantly love it, trust your instinct and stick with it. Even if your friend tells you it makes you look fat. I have a few clothes that make me look fat but make me feel fabulous. I'd much rather feel fabulous than look thin!
- Try and harmonize your clothing style with your hairstyle, interior style etc, it is quite relaxing to be coherent. And it helps you define your personality in a stable way. Constant change, no matter how fun it is can be psychologically exhausting.
- Finally, no matter how old you are, always make sure you feel great about yourself and proud of your looks and your body. This is the most important tip and could easily be the only one in this list!
Has your style changed dramatically in the past ten years? Do you have photos?
See this very interesting post about the evolution of style.