What I'd Wear To The Oscars - Gemma's Choices
Unlike Charlotte, I don't do subtle chic. If (when) I attend the Oscars, it's going to be all about drama. I know wearing big and bold frocks is a risk, and those fashion pundits don't hold back on their bitching, but I'd rather be remembered for making waves than forgotten for being dull. Like Charlotte, I'm imagining I have a honed and toned Charlize-esque figure for this fashion fantasy rundown...
5. First, I turn to my main man, Matthew Williamson, and a piece from one of his best collections (S/S 2004). I love the soft, subtle shape of the dress, and the sparkling peacock feather embroidery. The reason it's only number five? It isn't old enough to be considered vintage yet, so I might just look like I'm wearing an old dress!
4. Next up is some super-dramatic Dolce & Gabbana. This would definitely turn heads, but I might have to get rid of the black lace and cut down on the flowers to soften it up a little bit. I think this would be one of those dresses that makes best dressed and worst dressed lists depending on the critic. And those are my favourite gowns! One problem though - how would I sit down?
3. I've always been a fan of the romantic designs from Emanuel Ungaro, and while I'm not 100% sold on the colour combo of this dress (I'd prefer it in all bronze without the top corsage) I adore the frilly shape. And what a great excuse to wear killer shoes!
4. You can't go far wrong with Versace on Oscar night, and I adore the combination of sparkly glam and floaty romance in this dress. I really hope someone wears this tonight. The only reason this wasn't number one is because of the dark colour, as I've said, I don't like to play safe in any way, shape or form! Fashion should be something you have fun with.
1. And we come to my final choice, which I think combines just the right amount of glamour with a shape that won't make me resemble a toilet roll cover. The pink oyster colour of this shimmery Elie Saab dress called to me, and I love the pleats and that beautiful gathered waist. This looks like it would be comfortable as well as flattering the waist. I wouldn't even need jewels with that diamante studded halter strap. I love it!